You are able to file a joint or sole Application for Divorce in the Federal Circuit Court once you have been separated for more than 12 months.

The Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) imposes a limitation period for parties seeking orders (contested or by consent) for a property division or spouse maintenance. This limitation is one year from the date of a divorce order taking effect or two years from the date of separation in the case of de facto couples.

We can provide you with advice on how to file a joint or sole Application for Divorce, or we can show you how to file and serve your own Application, without a Solicitor. You will need to locate your Marriage Certificate – the official government copy – not the one you received from the priest or celebrant.


If you file your Application in the Federal Circuit Court the filing fee will presently cost you $910. You may be able to apply for a fee reduction or exemption in certain circumstances.

Depending on your particular circumstances, we may recommend that you immediately apply for a divorce.

If you would like assistance please call us on 4758 5656 to make an appointment for a special fixed fee price of $275.


Are you looking for someone to help?

Let us help you! Call Now : 07 4758 5656

·   Mon – Fri 08:30-17:00